Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Desert Child

This one isn't by me, it was written for me this year by a friend on my B-day. it's sort of been appearing in my dreams lately, and i find that i'm craving another dream in the desert. With the full moon upon me, joined by the lunar eclipse, i am eager for the new energy this dreams carries with it. Nice how a moment taken by another to really see just a little part of me imparts so much meaning. i am as full as the moon...


Your home, you’re home

In the valleys carved by water and wind,

These dry bowls where all bones show

Veins flow and rush to the Great,

Where hewn wheels carved ruts in salt.

From cities of sins to one of saints

To dwellings abandoned save for Fremont ghosts

And Anasazi whispers

You find shelter in the desert

Solace in exposure.

Your skin sparkles of mica, cheeks of quartz

Hair twisting ‘round like gold Mohave’s devils

Heart found huge at a narrow’s end—a

Wide, sun-beating valley of fire.

Hardened like a those of walk-a-bout’s child,

Feet that have led and sometimes followed.

Clear like a nighthawk

Clever like the crow

Laughing eyes open to a long, long path

To depths back and beyond.

In the gorge where the wren’s call clings

Down the cliffs like water,

Where coyote hitch rides on Highway 6,

Your home, you're home,

Desert Child



Pamela Ostermiller 09/12/07



----------------
Now playing: Ray LaMontagne - Be Here Now

via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Thank you, for the great Neck Warmer from Paying it Forward! I love it. I have actually been hoping for more chillier nights so I can wear it under my coat. It is so creative and fun. Thanks so much and for getting me to pay it forward to others. I just sent mine off and I loved it. I have got to learn how to knit, I will be calling you to give me a mini class to learn!

    P.S. the moon was so big and beautiful in the sky last night!

    ReplyDelete